Friday, December 10, 2010

If You Give a Puppy Some Olive Oil...

This past week, my puppy, Miss Bella Naomi, has been battling a stomach bug. Did you know that such a thing existed for dogs? I didn't.

On a scale of big to little, Bella falls into the tiny range. I mean, she is itty-bitty. Because of her size, I am paranoid that just the slightest gust of wind will blow her away. Perhaps my paranoia stems from our first few days together when I got put on "baby duty" all by myself. She got sick. I freaked out. It was bad. Then, there was that time that we were sleeping together on the couch, and she rolled off...not good at all. Point is, Bella and I have already been through a few ups-and-downs together. I'll be the first to admit that I'm dearly attached to this little fuzz ball. After all of the time I've spent taking care of her, you might say that I'm borderline overprotective. She has become my baby, no doubt.

As you may imagine, I once again freaked out when she got the bug. She's really pitiful when she isn't feeling well. She just looks up at you with those sad eyes. That, folks, is what you call a "puppy pout." Bella usually barks and runs and barks and barks some more but not this week. Instead, she has altered her routine to shivering and sleeping and barfing, just like a sick kid. It's hard to watch. But, she is very good to snuggle with when she can't resist. I've liked that part of the whole ordeal. She makes a good snuggle buddy.

Thankfully, she has slowly returned to normal over the past day or two, but it is still a challenge to make her eat. Weighing-in at a whopping almost 4 lbs., she didn't have much to lose in the first place. Now, she looks like a scrawny weasel or something. She's stubborn, so making her eat isn't easy. Just a few minutes ago, I had a brilliant idea. I softened her dog food and put some olive oil in it (she loves that stuff), and she ate it!

Yes, it's a sort of pathetic when I get excited over feeding a Yorkie, but, nonetheless, I feel extremely accomplished.

Now, she's sleeping, and I can finally go to bed.

I feel like a teen mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment