Friday, September 24, 2010

I'm Ready for My Close-Up

FPD theater...where to begin...

For me it all started in 4th grade when I landed the star role of Fairgoer #8 in Mrs. Archer's production of Charlotte's Web. Boy, I thought I was hot stuff. My one line was "That's some pig!" At least, I think it was something like that. I took my part very seriously...maybe. Honestly, I don't really remember the details. I just like to pretend like I do. I  do, however, have a vivid memory of singing Elvis's "You Ain't Nothin' but a Hound Dog" to a room full of my peers while waiting to go on stage because I was young and naive and thought stuff like that was cool. Misconception, much?

Since my 4th grade debut had had such a significant impact on me, I waited a whole two years before I even thought about doing another production. Yes, I'm being facetious about the major impact. I enjoyed theater, but since when do kids pay attention to what they like in elementary school?  I wasn't too big on the whole you-are-what-you-do craze.As far as extra curricular activities go, I took my time figuring out what I enjoyed. Theater this year.  A short-lived soccer career the next. Guitar lessons interspersed. A little bit of tennis. A smidgen of church choir. It was all the same.

Middle school was the defining point. Through a series of "trial and error"experiences, I found out that sports just weren't for me. That's what I get for being the girl who tore a ligament in her ankle by tripping in a very visible hole in the yard. Looking back, that was probably a sign that my talents were better suited elsewhere. So when athletics didn't work out, where did I turn to? Good ole' theater, of course. 

I enjoy surprising people. I like making others laugh. I love to imitate those around me, and I had have a large imagination. All of those things combined with my somewhat weird personality worked to attract me to the acting community. It's kind of like the Sugar + Spice + Everything Nice = The Powerpuff Girls. 

Weird + Imaginative + Imitation "Skills" + Any Other Unique, Innate Abilities = Thespian

My point in of all of this rambling: I like acting, and, because I like acting, I'm happy that One Act is starting up soon. Nothing like a big, dysfunctional family reunion of awkward theater kids, right? Well, I don't know about that. I've kind of been like that one cousin who shows up every now and then to surprise people by showing that I am, in fact, still alive. Hopefully, this year will be different, and I will participate more. After all, it is my last year at "the Day School." <-- I absolutely hate when people say that. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment